[Jeremy Hylton]
> I admit that I'm also puzzled by Jack's specific question.  I don't
> understand why an array passed to PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords() would
> need to be declared as const.  I observed the problem in my initial
> changes but didn't think very hard about the cause of the problem.
> Perhaps someone with better C/C++ standards chops can explain.

Oh, who cares?  I predict "Jack's problem" would go away if we changed
the declaration of PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords to what you intended
<wink> to begin with:

PyAPI_FUNC(int) PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords(PyObject *, PyObject *,
                                                  const char *, const
char * const *, ...);

That is, declare the keywords argument as a pointer to const pointer
to const char, rather than the current pointer to pointer to const
char.

How about someone on a Linux box try that with gcc, and check it in if
it solves Jack's problem (meaning that gcc stops whining about the
original spelling of his original example).