On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 7:57 AM Tim Peters <tim.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think we need to cater anymore to careless code that mixes
> system memory calls with O calls (e.g., if an extension gets memory
> via `malloc()`, it's its responsibility to call `free()`), and if not
> then `address_in_range()` isn't really necessary anymore either, and
> then we could increase the pool size.  O would, however, need a new
> way to recognize when its version of malloc punted to the system
> malloc.

Is this really feasible in a world where the allocators can be selected
(and the default changed) at runtime? And what would be an efficient way of
detecting allocations punted to malloc, if not address_in_range?

Getting rid of address_in_range sounds like a nice idea, and I would love
to test how feasible it is -- I can run such a change against a wide
selection of code at work, including a lot of third-party extension
modules, but I don't see an easy way to do it right now.

--
Thomas Wouters <tho...@python.org>

Hi! I'm an email virus! Think twice before sending your email to help me
spread!