We've tried this before, but apparently people were cross-compiling. I'd
suggest not removing them any faster than whatever deprecation applies to the
module on all platforms (which should still be as quickly as possible :-) ).

Cheers,

Steve

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 5:26 PM +0200, "Victor Stinner" <vstin...@redhat.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I modified Makefile.pre.in to avoid installing wininst-*.exe files,
since these files are only useful on Windows: the distutils
bdist_wininst command only works on Windows.
https://bugs.python.org/issue37468

I made the assumption that "make install" is only used on Unix, not on
Windows. I never tried to build Python in Cygwin or MinGW on Windows.
If someone knows these platforms, and consider that wininst-*.exe
should still be installed on these platforms, please propose a pull
request for bpo-37468.

By the way, bdist_wininst is now deprecated in Python 3.8: wheel
packages are now preferred.
https://bugs.python.org/issue37481

Victor
https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/53T647PT4F5QZ5NOX2GDLMMPC5EPJY4Y/