Hi everyone,

(FYI, I'm cross-posting this from core-mentorship. If you'd like to reply,
please do so there.)

Following the recent discussion on core-mentorship about beginning
contribution, the difficulties it entails and how to improve the situation,
I'd like to start a process of improving the situation.

As a first step, I'd like to collect as many stories about beginning to
contribute to Python. This includes stories about failures to do so; in
fact, those would be most useful!

I'm intentionally leaving this very open; I'd like to hear anything people
have to tell about their experiences, with as little guidance as possible.
Specifically, at this point, I'm not (yet) looking for specific suggestions
for how to improve the situation.

So, following Guido's call (on core-mentorship) to publicly post such
stories, please help us collect as many such accounts as possible! Post
your own stories, and more importantly, reach out to others who could share
their own stories and ask them to do so!

Those who feel that posting publicly would require too much work, or just
don't feel comfortable doing so, are invited to write to me personally;
I'll use the information anonymously if asked to.

Regards,
- Tal Einat