[Brett Cannon <br...@python.org>]
> We probably need to update https://devguide.python.org/committing/ to
> have a step-by-step list of how to make a merge works and how to
> handle backports instead of the wall of text that we have. (It's already
> outdated anyway, e.g. `Misc/ACKS` really isn't important as git itself
> records the author of the commit and so that can be used with
> `Misc/ACKS` for old commits to gather the list of folks who have"
> contributed.)

Don't put too much weight on my screwups ;-)  I was appalled to hear
that the OP's contribution was still sitting unmerged, and was in a
hurry to resolve that at a time I _had_ no significant time to give to
it.

Mariatta and Terry Reedy finished up what I left undone, so in the end
it's all good :-)

And there's a problem with the GitHub workflow docs that may be unique
to me:  we have helpful layers of automation, but they're shortening a
git workflow I don't understand even without the automation.  With the
automation, I'm just doubly clueless.

That's because I'm old.  My capacity to give a rip about source
control system quirks was apparently entirely used up when I spent
several weeks mastering the intricacies of Mercurial.  Try as I might,
I just haven't been able to force myself to become competent with git.
It's not that I disapprove of git!  It's apparently more that we're
each born with a finite capacity for being _able_ to learn Yet Another
New Source Control System, and mine was used up on YANSCS #8 ;-)

aging-isn't-for-the-optimistic-ly y;rs  - tim