> This whole thread would be an excellent justification for following 3.9
> with 4.0. It's as near as we ever want to get to a breaking change, and a
> major version number would indicate the need to review. If increasing
> strictness of escape code interpretation in string literals is the only
> incompatibility there would surely be general delight.
>
> Kind regards,
> Steve Holden

I rather doubt that allowing breaking changes into a Python 4.0 would end up
with this as the only proposed incompatibility. Once word got out, a flood of
incompat requests would probably get raised. I personally have a change I'd
like made to doctest (https://bugs.python.org/issue36714), and I know of
another in argparse (https://bugs.python.org/issue33109) that I'm personally
neutral on but that others have stronger feelings about.