On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 11:37 AM Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:

> On 8/9/2019 2:28 PM, Jonathan Goble wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 12:34 PM Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I find the "Our deprecation warnings were even less visible than
> >> normal" argument for extending the deprecation period compelling.
> > Outsider's 2 cents from reading this discussion (with no personal
> > experience with this warning):
> >
> > I am perplexed at the opinion, seemingly espoused by multiple people
> > in this thread, that because a major part of the problem is that the
> > warnings were not visible enough, somehow the proposed solution is
> > making them not visible enough again? It's too late, in my
> > understanding, in the 3.8 cycle to add a new feature like a change to
> > how these warnings are produced (it seems a significant change to the
> > .pyc structure is needed to emit them at runtime), so this supposed
> > "solution" is nothing but kicking the can down the road. When 3.9
> > rolls around, public exposure to the problem of invalid escape
> > sequences will still be approximately what it is now (because if
> > nobody saw the warnings in 3.7, they certainly won't see them in 3.8
> > with this "fix"), so you'll end up with the same complaints about
> > SyntaxWarning that started this discussion, end up back on
> > DeprecationWarning for 3.9 (hopefully with support for emitting them
> > at runtime instead of just compile-time), then have to wait until
> > 3.10/4.0 for SyntaxWarning and eventually the next version to actually
> > make them errors.
>
> Yes, I think that's the idea: Deprecation warning in 3.9, but more
> visible that what 3.7 has. That is, not just at compile time but at run
> time. What's required to make that happen is an open question.

i've lost track of who suggested what in this thread, but yes, that concept
has been rolling over in my mind as a potentially good idea after someone
suggested it.  Compile time warnings should turn into bytecode for a
warnings.warn call in the generated pyc.  I haven't spent time trying to
reason if that actually addresses the real issues we're having moving
forward with a syntax warning change though.  A reasonable feature to ask
for as a feature in 3.9 or later perhaps.

-gps