Greg Ewing wrote:
> There are *already* differences which make C and C++
> annoyingly incompatible. One is the const char * const *
> issue that appeared here.

Of course there are differences. C++ has classes, C doesn't.
C++ has function overloading, C doesn't.

C++ has assignment from char** to const char*const*,
C doesn't. Why is it annoying that C++ extends C?

> Another is that it no longer
> seems to be permissible to forward-declare static things,

Not sure what you are referring to. You can forward-declare
static functions in C++ just fine.

>>when everybody has switched to C++, and compatibility
>>with C is no longer required.
>

> Yeeks, I hope not! The world needs *less* C++, not more...

I'm sure the committee waits until you retire before
deciding that compatibility with C is not needed
anymore :-)

>>Sure you can still use stdio, and it is
>>never going away (it isn't deprecated). However, you
>>have to spell the header as
>>
>>#include <cstdio>
>>
>>and then refer to the functions as std::printf,
>>std::stderr, etc.
>

> Which makes it a very different language from C in
> this area. That's my point.

That future version of C++ to be published in 2270,
yes, it will be different from C, because the last
C programmer will have died 20 years ago.

Regards,
Martin