On 11/12/2019 5:03 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
Hi,

Are you ok to modify internal C functions to pass explicitly tstate?

The last time we discussed this, there was pushback due to performance concerns. I don't recall if that was actually measured, or just a vague unease.

I've long advocated (mostly to myself, and Larry when he would listen!) that we should do this. I agree with Petr that not breaking existing APIs is of course critical. A parallel set of APIs is needed. But the existing APIs should become thin wrappers, until Python 5000 (aka never) when they can go away.

And this not only helps with being explicit, it should help with testing. No more depending on some hidden global state.

Eric