On 12/3/2019 3:35 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:
On 03/12/2019 21.04, Ethan Furman wrote:
On 12/03/2019 09:31 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

I think it’s too soon to worry about this. I don’t see a reason to
harass people who maintain code based that were just recently migrated.
I'm happy to go with this, since my libraries still do the 2/3 straddle.

Do we want to set a date/version where we will drop code that only
exists to make 2/3 projects easier?
How about when the last major Linux distro with Python 2 reaches end of
general support? According to Wikipedia that would be 2023 for Ubuntu
18.04 LTS, 2024 for RHEL 8.0, and 2028 for SUSE SLES 15.

I agree we should wait a long time before removing the 'u' prefix. If I'm using a library that uses 'u', but that library is no longer maintained, when do we want to break my app, just because I use this library? Given that 'u' requires so little code to implement, I don't see what's to be gained by removing it. Maybe document it as deprecated (and why), but that's about it.

Eric