On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 21:42:36 -0500
Kyle Stanley <aeros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > (b) Why limit coroutines? It's just another Python object and has no
> operating resources associated with it. Perhaps your definition of
> coroutine is different, and you are thinking of OS threads?
>
> This was my primary concern with the proposed PEP. At the moment, it's
> rather trivial to create one million coroutines, and the total memory taken
> up by each individual coroutine object is very minimal compared to each OS
> thread.
>
> There's also a practical use case for having a large number of coroutine
> objects, such as for asynchronously:
>
> 1) Handling a large number of concurrent clients on a continuously running
> web server that receives a significant amount of traffic.

Not sure how that works?  Each client has an accepted socket, which is
bound to a local port number, and there are 65536 TCP port numbers
available.  Unless you're using 15+ coroutines per client, you probably
won't reach 1M coroutines that way.

> 2) Sending a large number of concurrent database transactions to run on a
> cluster of database servers.

1M concurrent database transactions?  Does that sound reasonable at
all?  Your database administrator probably won't like you.

> something like this definitely scales over time. Arbitrarily placing a
> limit on the total number of coroutine objects doesn't make sense to me for
> that reason.

There are a lot of arbitrary limits inside a computer system.  You just
aren't aware of them because you don't hit them in practice.  Claiming
that limits shouldn't exist is just pointless.

Regards

Antoine.