On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 09:01:29 -0600
"Karl O. Pinc" <k...@karlpinc.com> wrote:

> I guess I will advocate for _some_ specification built into Python's
> definition.  Otherwise everybody should _always_ build their own
> formatter; lest they wake up one morning and find that int zero prints
> as "+0".

Having made a suggestion I've followed up with a pull request.
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/18111

I think I have come up with a very minimal and sane
set of restrictions on the default Numeric string
representations.  Having done that, I'm less interested
in spending a lot more time on this.

I'd be happy to explain my wording choices, and equally
happy to have the pull request immediately rejected.

The pull request is presently failing the check for
news.  (I'm not entirely clear on how to
satisfy the requirement,
or whether I could come up with a good news entry.
I'll wait to resolve this if it looks like the patch
is going anywhere.)

There should probably also be unit tests.  But again,
I'll wait to see if this is going anywhere.

FYI, it was remarkably easy to build the docs.  But the
contribution process goes through an annoying number
of corporations (github, the contributor signature...)
and login steps.

(The contributor signature needs to clear at your end.)

Regards,

Karl <k...@karlpinc.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein