On 2020-02-04 14:40, Paul Moore wrote:
>> The answer to that concern is to not break compatibility in the first place,
>> and/or revert it when the mistake is discovered.  It happens.
>
> That sounds to me like an argument for stagnation. We already take
> backwards compatibility very seriously. If you're suggesting that we
> don't even have the option of deprecating things, then I'm not sure
> how you expect the language to evolve.

No, I chose the wrong phrasing there. Have been arguing for deprecations to occur on schedule but removals to occur later. By "not break compatibility…" I meant not to break it in a large, destructive manner. Small ones, sure.

> The point has already been made that "keeping code around but
> deprecated" isn't the problem, it's bug triage, telling people who
> report problems with deprecated code that "this is not going to be
> fixed", educating people who copy/paste old and deprecated code and
> wonder why they are now getting warnings with it, etc. I think it's
> probably up to the core devs (who do the work) to judge what is an
> "undue burden", but if you do want to try to judge it, please take all
> of those extra tasks into account when reckoning up.

This happens already and won't go away. I'm arguing that a *very* predictable release process helps and doesn't hurt in this department, resulting in fewer questions. Instead of every release is a unique snowflake to be considered. Still have questions? Go to FAQ #42.

> Restricting compatibility breaks to the major version
> isn't that important in my experience. IMO, the version number isn't
> anywhere near as important as the *process* of handling backward

It matters, when say Ubuntu drops X.4 when X.6 comes out and X.6 isn't backwards compatible. You get forced to update or find one of the various workarounds. I argue this should happen less frequently at predictable times.

> No, it's that conserving the *extremely* limited resource that is
> freely donated, volunteer core developer time is essential if we want
> to have a viable core development team at all.

Sorry, didn't mean that part as an attack, rather an illustration of the tradeoff being made. Now if PSF needs help to build a more predictable release process, well then, by all means ask. But that can't happen until the decision is made to do it.

-Mike