So can we just finish PEP 584 without the .copy() call? Surely the more
general solution will not be ready for Python 3.9, while PEP 584 is nearly
done. (I'm also skeptical about a general solution, but I'd rather stay out
of that discussion for a while longer, and maybe you all come up with
something good.)

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 8:46 AM Brandt Bucher <brandtbuc...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> After a few days of thinking and experimenting, I’ve been convinced that
> `copy` (and also `__copy__`) is not the right protocol for what we want to
> do here. I believe that 584 can likely continue without subclass-preserving
> behavior, but that better behavior could perhaps could be added to *all*
> built-in types later, since it’s outside the scope of this PEP.
>
> > My opinion is that Python built-in types make subclassing
> unnecessarily(?) awkward to use, and I would like to see that change.
>
> Yes! But, on further reflection, I don’t think this is the correct way of
> approaching it.
>
> > For example, consider subclassing float. If you want your subclass to be
> actually usable, you have to write a whole bunch of boilerplate, otherwise
> the first time you perform arithmetic on your subclass, it will be
> converted to a regular old float… This is painful and adds a great amount
> of friction to subclassing.
>
> `float` is a *perfect* example of the problems with the way things are
> currently, so let’s focus on this.
>
> Currently, subclassing `float` requires ~30 overridden methods of
> repetitive (but non-trivial) boilerplate to get everything working right.
> However, calling the `float` equivalent of `dict.copy()` on the LHS before
> proceeding with the default implementation wouldn’t help us, because floats
> (like many built-in types) are immutable. So a new, plain, built-in `float`
> would still be returned by the default machinery. It doesn’t know how to
> construct a new, different instance of our subclass, and it can’t change
> one it’s already built.
>
> This leads me to believe that we’re approaching the problem wrong. Rather
> than making a copy and working on it, I think the problem would be better
> served by a protocol that runs the default implementation, *then* calls
> some under hook on the subclass to build a new instance.
>
> Let’s call this method `__build__`. I’m not sure what its arguments would
> look like, but it would probably need at least `self`, and an instance of
> the built-in base class (in this case a `float`), and return a new instance
> of the subclass based on the two. It would likely also need to work with
> `cls` instead of `self` for `classmethod` constructors like
> `dict.fromkeys`, or have a second hook for that case.
>
> By subclassing `float` and defining `__build__` to something like this:
>
> ```
> class MyFloat(float):
>     …
>     def __build__(self, result):
>         Return MyFloat(result, some_state=self.some_state)
>     …
> ```
>
> I could now trust the built-in `float` machinery to try calling
> `lhs.__build__(result)` on the result that *would* have been returned
> *before* returning it. This is a simple example, but a protocol like this
> would work for mutables as well.
>
> > A more pertinent example, from dict itself:

> [...]

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>