On 21Mar2020 12:45, Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:
On 3/21/2020 12:39 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
Well, if CPython is modified to implement tagged pointers and supports
storing a short strings (a few latin1 characters) as a pointer, it may
become harder to keep the same behavior for "x is y" where x and y are
strings.

Are you suggesting that it could become impossible to write this function:

   def myself(o):
       return o

and not be able to rely on "o is myself(o)"? That seems... a pretty nasty breaking change for the language.

Good point. And I guess it's still a problem for interned strings, since even a copy could be the same object:

s = 'for'
s[:] is 'for'
True

So I now agree with Ned, we shouldn't be prescriptive here, and we should explicitly say in the PEP that there's no way to tell if the strip/cut/whatever took place, other than comparing via equality, not identity.

Unless Victor asserts that a function like myself() above cannot be relied on to have its return value "is" its passed in value, I disagree. The beauty of returning the original object on no change is that the test is O(1) and the criterion is clear. It is easy to document that stripping an empty affix returns the original string.

I guess a test for len(stripped_string) == len(unstripped_string) is also O(1), and is less prescriptive. I just don't see the weight to Ned's characterisation of "a is/is-not b" as overly prescriptive; returning the same reference as one is given seems nearly the easiest thing a function can ever do.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>