On 3/24/2020 3:30 PM, Steve Dower wrote:
On 24Mar2020 1849, Brett Cannon wrote:
-1 on "cut*" because my brain keeps reading it as "cute".
+1 on "trim*" as it is clear what's going on and no confusion with preexisting methods.
+1 on "remove*" for the same reasons as "trim*".

And if no consensus is reached in this thread for a name I would assume the SC is going to ultimately decide on the name if the PEP is accepted as the burden of being known as "the person who chose _those_ method names on str" is more than any one person should have bear. ;)

-1 on "cut*" (feels too much like what .partition() does)
-0 on "trim*" (this is the name used in .NET instead of "strip", so I foresee new confusion)
+1 on "remove*" (because this is exactly what it does)

I actually prefer "without*" because it seems more descriptive, but I don't expect it to get any traction.

So "remove" would get my +1.

Eric