On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 6:31 PM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org> wrote:

> Le mar. 23 juin 2020 à 04:02, Inada Naoki <songofaca...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> > Legacy unicode representation is using wstr so legacy unicode support
> > is removed with wstr.
> > PyUnicode_READY() will be no-op when wstr is removed.  We can remove
> > calling of PyUnicode_READY() since then.
> >
> > I think we can deprecate PyUnicode_READY() when wstr is removed.
>
> Would it be possible to rewrite the plan differently (merge
> Specification sections) to list changes per Python version? Something
> like:

OK, I rewrite the PEP.
https://github.com/python/peps/pull/1462

> Also, some functions are already deprecated. Would you mind to list
> them in the PEP? I fail to track the status of each function.

Do you mean APIs relating to Py_UNICODE, but not relating to
wstr nor legacy Unicode? (e.g. PyLong_FromUnicode, PyUnicode_Encode, etc...)

We can remove them one-by-one basis.

* Most APIs can be removed in 3.10.
* Some API can be undeprecated by changing Py_UNICODE to wchar_t.
* Some APIs needs more discussion (e.g. PyUnicodeEncodeError_Create,
PyUnicodeTranslateError_Create).

Since they are independent from wstr and legacy Unicode object,
I don't want to handle them in this PEP.

Regards,
--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>