On 27/06/2020 10:36, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Richard Damon writes:
  > As long as the bindings in match also make the symbol a local
  > (which seems reasonable) then you would get a similar restriction.

It's quite different.  First, it surely won't make other symbols
match-local.  Of course there will be times when you do all the work
inside the match statement.  But often you'll want to do bindings in a
match statement, then use those outside.  The second problem is that
this use of '_' isn't optional.  It's part of the syntax.  That means
that you can't use the traditional marking of a translateable string
(and it's not just tradition; there is a lot of external software that
expects it) in that scope.

So it's practically important, if not theoretically necessary, that
'case _' not bind '_'.

That's the clearest explanation of why "_" needs to be treated carefully, but I don't think it argues for the PEP's special treatment. Those people like me who just write for ourselves and don't care about internationalisation use "_" like any other variable with a strong implication that it's a dummy, so don't really care. Those people like you who care about internationalisation presumably avoid using "_" anyway, so the PEP's usage goes against your current instincts.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd