On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 16:16, Éric Araujo <e...@netwok.org> wrote:

> Le 2020-07-02 à 09 h 52, Paul Moore a écrit :
> > What *is* the correct inclusive way to refer to an unidentified person
> > in a technical document, without sacrificing clarity by using
> > convoluted circumlocutions like "he/her/they" or over-use of the
> > passive voice?
>
> One technique is alternating genders for the imagined user or developer.
> Otherwise the singular they is the easiest way.

I do not think that technique is as inclusive as we should aim to be
(apologies if I get this wrong in terms of gender v.s. sex): there are
those who do not self-identify as either gender or prefer another pronoun
(I know some who prefer to be called "they" instead of he or she and do not
identify as male or female): hence using (singular) they is simply easiest
and unoffensive (in my view).