On 02.07.2020 21:20, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 4:09 AM David Mertz <me...@gnosis.cx> wrote:
An issue is that commit messages are uneditable after merge, so something
written somewhere suggesting consideration of this would be a good idea, with
authors/mergers bearing this in mind, however unusual a change on this basis
would be. This would be additional burden on the core dev team, but if
commitment is to be made to inclusivity, it might be what's necessary.

I don't think so.
https://docs.github.com/en/github/committing-changes-to-your-project/changing-a-commit-message.
  Interactive rebasing is perfectly possible, isn't it.  I admit my git-fu
isn't that strong, but I've done something that I *think* is the same as this.
It's possible I'm missing some distinction between the trees I've modified and
the current one, but I don't think so.

When you do that sort of rewriting, you're constructing a new and
independent history and then saying "hey, this is the history I want
everyone to respect now, thanks". It's full-on Back To The Future
stuff, and can have annoying or serious consequences with everyone who
has a clone or fork of the repo.

It would be extremely annoying to anyone who has an open PR at the
time of the rewrite, but the annoyance would be temporary (hopefully
one-off).

If you are talking about rewriting the PEP8 commit, it has proven to cause so
much damage that this is warranted despite the inconveniences IMO.

ChrisA
https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/A2XBFOH5WGEOASSXHHKRWEHMZBN625SU/
Regards,
Ivan