On Thu, 02 Jul 2020 18:54:26 -0400
Random832 <random...@fastmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2020, at 18:15, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > On Thu, 02 Jul 2020 17:58:44 -0400
> > Random832 <random...@fastmail.com> wrote:
> > > Why indeed?
> >
> > Because we're talking about PEP 8, and PEP 8 intends to cover the code
> > style used when writing code in the *Python standard library*.
>
> ok, first of all, fair enough, but I do think there should be some
> recognition of the PEP's role in the wider community as a general style guide
> for all code written in python.
>
> second, you've snipped the entire rest of my post rather than engage with it,
> and the main point I was making is no less relevant to the standard library,
> so I will repeat it: If the dialect someone wishes to write their comments in
> is mutually intelligible with "standard" (however defined) English there's no
> real need to enforce a higher degree of conformity beyond that.

Well, I disagree, at least for documentation where having a consistent
writing style (and it's not only language, but the way things are
presented, structured, etc.) makes for a much more pleasant and
efficient reading experience.

It's not only about being understandable in the basic sense, but in
making comprehension, navigation and information retrieval easy.

Regards

Antoine.