PyEval_ReleaseLock() is deprecated since Python 3.2 in the documentation:
https://docs.python.org/dev/c-api/init.html#c.PyEval_ReleaseLock

PyEval_AcquireLock() was annotated with Py_DEPRECATED() by Serhiy
Storchaka in https://bugs.python.org/issue19569#msg280110 where he
wrote:

"PyEval_ReleaseLock() is used in Python/pystate.c. It can't be
replaced with PyEval_ReleaseThread() since the latter don't accept
NULL."

I wrote in a previous email, I modified Python internals to no longer
call PyEval_ReleaseLock(), but a new internal
_PyEval_ReleaseLock(tstate) function instead.

Maybe we can still mark PyEval_ReleaseLock() as deprecated in Python
3.9, since it's just compiler warning, it's less intrusive than a
warning emitted at runtime.

Victor