On 9/11/2020 12:24 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
On 9/4/20 1:28 PM, Steve Dower wrote:
Hi all.

setuptools has recently adopted the entire codebase of the distutils module, so
that they will be able to make improvements directly without having to rely on
patching the standard library. As a result, we can now move forward with
official deprecation (in 3.10) and removal (in 3.12) (noting that the distutils
docs already recommend switching to setuptools).

it would be nice to already announce that with the 3.9 release.

I think the announcement will have an immediate effect regardless of what versions it's tied to.

At the 2018 Language summit, I had a lightning talk to report about the
experience splitting out distutils into a separate binary package, showing some
unexpected usages:

Unexpected / Creative usages:

  - distutils.version
    Used “everywhere” ...

  - distutils.spawn: find_executable
    Replace with shutil.which

  - distutils.util: strtobool
    Rewrite, no equivalent in the stdlib?

  - distutils.sysconfig:
    Mostly replaced by sysconfig

(Aside - I've put out a call on Discourse for people to contribute the parts of distutils that are used but wouldn't be suitable for using setuptools instead. These are good, but don't seem drastic enough to not deprecate the module. Thoughts?)

It really would be nice to have recommended replacements, especially for the
version stuff (packaging?)

Considering that the PEP won't be updated after acceptance, and all of these recommendations would be to third-party packages (except possibly strtobool), how relevant would you predict these to be in three years time?

Setuptools has already been the official recommendation for the whole module for a long time, and their page at https://setuptools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/distutils-legacy.html already lists a few replacements (and I'm sure they'll accept contributions :) ). So I'd prefer to point towards that as the most up-to-date source of recommendations. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Steve