[Guido]
> Maybe someone reading this can finish the Wikipedia page on
> Two-Way Search? The code example trails off with a function with
> some incomprehensible remarks and then a TODO..

Yes, the Wikipedia page is worse than useless in its current state,
although some of the references it lists are helpful.  This is a much
better summary:

http://www-igm.univ-mlv.fr/~lecroq/string/node26.html#SECTION00260

but, I believe, still far too telegraphic.

The original paper is by far the best account I've seen so far, with
complete code and exhaustive explanations and proofs.  Even examples
;-)

But here's the thing: I don't believe this algorithm this _can_ be
reduced to an elevator pitch.  Excruciating details appear to be
fundamental at every step, and I've seen nothing yet anywhere
approaching an "intuitive explanation" :-(  What happens instead is
that you run it on the hardest cases you can dream up, and your jaw
drops in amazement :-)