On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 12:30 PM Tim Peters <tim.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't plan on making a series of these posts, just this one, to give
> people _some_ insight into why the new algorithm gets systematic
> benefits the current algorithm can't.  It splits the needle into two
> pieces, u and v, very carefully selected by subtle linear-time needle
> preprocessing (and it's quite a chore to prove that a suitable
> splitting always exists!):
>
>     needle == u + v
>
> [... more details...]

Thank you, great explanation. Can this be added to the source code
if/when this algorithm gets implemented? I've learned all kinds of
things from the huge block comments about timsort, list growth, and
the like. They make great reading when you're trying to figure out how
to explain things (or if you're a bored nerd browsing for curiosity's
sake - that works too!).

ChrisA