Hello,

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 12:16:09 +0000
Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 11:25, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for the well-written PEP, although I don't agree with it.
> > My response below is quite long. Here is my opinionated TL;DR:
>
> For what it's worth, I find your rebuttal of PEP 642 convincing, and
> in line with my thoughts on the matter.
>
> -1 from me on PEP 642.

Given that this was a direct reply to Steven's mail, and he explicitly
said:

> (4) Using sigils to over-ride the default is okay. That includes
> turning what would otherwise be a capture pattern into a comparison.

And that's also the stated goal of PEP 642, quoting:

> This PEP takes the view that not requiring a marker prefix on value
> lookups in match patterns results in a cure that is worse than the
> disease: Python's first ever syntax-sensitive value lookup where you
> can't transparently replace an attribute lookup with a local variable
> lookup

So, both PEP 642 and Steven agree that the problem exists, and explicit
marker is a suitable means to address it.

Then, deriving "rebuttal" and "-1" to PEP 642 from Steven's mail sounds
a bit confusing.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmis...@gmail.com