Hi,

It turns out that implementing the save and restore semantics in the example I gave is not that difficult.

I was motivated to find out by the DLS 2020 paper on pattern matching.
It claims that introducing small scopes for variables would have to be implemented as a function preventing the use of normal control flow.

Since restoring the variable after an except block is a similar problem, I thought I'd see how difficult it was.

If anyone's interested, here's a prototype:

https://github.com/python/cpython/compare/master...markshannon:fix-exception-scoping

(This only saves globals and function-locals, class-locals and non-locals are unchanged. I'd probably want to emit a syntax warning for non-locals, as the semantics are a bit weird).

Cheers,
Mark.