Hi,

Le 23/11/2020 à 01:41, Greg Ewing a écrit :
> On 23/11/20 7:49 am, Daniel Moisset wrote:
>> Look at the following (non-pattern-matching) snippet:
>>
>>     event = datetime.date(x, month=y, day=z)
>
> The only names that are treated as lvalues there are to the left
> of an '='. […]
This is a crucial point for me as well. Especially "month=y" meaning
assign from month to y in "case datetime.date(x, month=y, day=z)" still
feels really weird, even after reading it times and again in this
many-month-old discussion. Sure, people who use pattern matching daily
will get used to it, but what about those who only use it once in a while?

I say this as someone who fully appreciates the parallelism between a
pattern and the corresponding constructor, and the elegance of this
design choice. The rational me likes it, but the instinctive me can't
get comfortable with its consequences ;-)

If it can be done, replacing the "=" sign with "as" feels like a good
compromise: the parallelism is still there, with just enough difference
to stand out.

Cheers,
Baptiste