The best way to deal with EOL platforms that I've seen is "best effort": do not guarantee continued operability but accept patches that fix breakages -- as long as they don't add maintenance burden beyond a comfortable level.

So if there's a person willing to backport changes (and test them themselves since we're not testing on that old platform), I don't see a problem.