On Sun, 10 Jan 2021, 7:37 pm Paul Sokolovsky, <pmis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And I patiently continue this thread, hoping that people whose argument
> would be along the lines of "I teach Python, and I don't want to teach
> my students 2 ways of doing the same thing, and which way use when. Why,
> if PEP634 offers just one way?"

They don't do the same thing, though. One does traditional duck typing
(checking for the presence of a specified set of attributes on an object),
while the other matches a sequence of attributes specified by the class.

PEP 634 just conflates the two tasks into a single call-like syntax that
may or may not bare any resemblance to the type's constructor signature.

Cheers,
Nick.