I agree that when we land a feature that introduces incompatible change
like this, as part of the PR it should also include updating the
documentation on how to migrate.
I would think that the feature should not be merged unless the doc has been
updated too.

Perhaps we should include this explicitly in devguide, as one of the things
to consider when reviewing pull requests.
Do we have such a guide/doc yet, on how to review CPython pull requests?