On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 13:31, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where Python is awkward is at the point where you actually *want* to
> teach students to use the command line. The problem is that Python is
> not set up for command line use out of the box in a consistent way
> across different platforms.

My experience with Java is that it's at least as bad. (I'd say
"worse", but that might just be because I'm more familiar with Python
than with Java). For C, do I type cc, cl, gcc, clang, ...? Do I need
to start a "Visual Studio command prompt"? What if I prefer using
powershell? For Ruby and Perl, I have to install them, and assuming
that's easy, I've no idea what to do then.

I'm not sure what the point is here though. If people without command
line skills want to use the command line, they'll struggle? Well, yes,
that seems likely.

And I have no idea how this relates to virtual environments vs the
system Python.
Paul

So yes, Python's experience sucks, but so do most languages.