[Travis Oliphant]
> Maybe I have the wrong version of code.  In my pyport.h (checked out
> from svn trunk) I have.
>
> #define PY_SSIZE_T_MAX ((Py_ssize_t)(((size_t)-1)>>1))
>
> What is size_t?

size_t is an unsigned integral type defined by, required by, and used
all over the place in standard C.  What exactly is the compiler
message you get, and exactly which compiler are you using (note that
nobody else is having problems with this, so there's something unique
in your setup)?

>  Is this supposed to be sizeof(size_t)?

No.  (size_t)-1 casts -1 to the unsigned integral type size_t, which
creates a "solid string of 1 bits" with the width of the size_t type.
">> 1" then shifts that right one bit, clearing the sign bit but
leaving the rest of the integer "all 1s".  Then that's cast to type
Py_ssize_t, which is a signed integral type with the same width as the
standard size_t.  In the end, you get the largest positive signed
integer with the same width as size_t, and that's the intent.

> I get a syntax error when I actually use PY_SSIZE_T_MAX somewhere in the
> code.

Nobody else does (PY_SSIZE_T_MAX is referenced in a few places
already), so you need to give more information.

Is it simply that you neglected to include Python.h in some extension
module?  The definition of size_t must be (according to the C
standard) supplied by stdlib.h, and Python.h includes stdlib.h.

It's also possible the some core Python C code doesn't #include enough
stuff to get the platform's size_t definition.