Hi Serhiy,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 8:33 AM Serhiy Storchaka <storch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have above 200 feature branches in my local repository. Will renaming
> the master branch cause any problems?

I don't think that you need to do anything on your machine nor on your open PRs.

When I use "git switch -c new_branch" command to create a new branch,
the created branch doesn't "track" its parent branch by default.
Example:

$ git branch -vv
(...)
* gilstate_init a6959b8971 bpo-43311: Create GIL autoTSSkey ealier
  master        9a9c11ad41 [upstream/master] bpo-43287: Use PEP 590
vectorcall to speed up filter() (GH-24611)

My "gilstate_init" local branch doesn't track any branch, whereas my
local "master" branch tracks upstream/master (my upstream remote is
g...@github.com:python/cpython.git).

Usually, when I want to easily see the differences between a local
branch and my local master branch (to use my "git out" alias), I type
"git branch --set-upstream-to=master":

$ git switch gilstate_init
$ git branch --set-upstream-to=master
$ git out
a6959b8971 bpo-43311: Create GIL autoTSSkey ealier

where my "git out" alias is the command:

$ git log '@{upstream}..' --pretty='format:%Cred%h%Creset %s' --color --reverse

You can check that gilstate_init now tracks my local master branch:

$ git branch -vv
(...)
  gilstate_init a6959b8971 [master: ahead 1] bpo-43311: Create GIL
autoTSSkey ealier
  master        9a9c11ad41 [upstream/master] bpo-43287: Use PEP 590
vectorcall to speed up filter() (GH-24611)

Use "git switch -c new_branch --track master" to create a new branch
based on master which tracks the master branch.

Maybe I should track upstream/master rather than my local master
branch, but when I fetch the upstream remote, I always update my local
master branch, so in my case, it's the same in pratice :-) And
"master" is shorter to type than "upstream/master".

Victor