El lun, 15 mar 2021 a las 13:13, Guido van Rossum (<gu...@python.org>)
escribió:

> Let me clarify what the typing-sig folks wanted out of this PEP. We only
> care about adding support for `x[*y]` (including things like `x[a, *b,
> c]`). We'll just update PEP 646 to add that explicitly there and hope that
> PEP 646 fares better than PEP 637.
>
> To fans of PEP 637 I would call out that the main reason for rejection
> seems to be this paragraph:
>
> The benefits of the new syntax as outlined in the PEP are not particularly
>> strong, and community support for the new syntax seems low. The new syntax
>> doesn’t provide an obvious way to do something that is currently
>> error-prone, and doesn’t open up new possibilities that were not possible
>> before. While there are certainly cases that could use the new syntax, for
>> many of them it’s not clear that it would be a win, or that third-party
>> libraries would indeed use the syntax. The Steering Council isn’t really
>> convinced by any of the suggested uses in the PEP.
>>

> This seems to imply that in order for a proposal like this to fare better
> in the future, the authors would need to line up support from specific,
> important communities like the scientific, data science or machine learning
> communities. Currently such support seems absent except for one specific
> package (xarray).
>
> Yes, I was surprised to read the focus on typing in the rejection notice
because my recollection from the discussions around PEP 637 was that typing
was not in fact the major motivation, named column indexing was.

Looking at the PEP's motivation section now (
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0637/#use-cases), two (#2 and #7) are
about typing. #2 ("MyType[T=int]") is rather weak, since "T=int" doesn't
provide any increase in clarity over just "int". #7 (PEP 646) is stronger,
but was tacked on later and doesn't provide much detail.

Among the other use cases, #1 and #3 are quite general. The compelling ones
to me are #4 (pandas), #5 (xarray) and #7 (trio.run and similar functions).
Focusing more on these use cases would have made the PEP's motivation more
similar to matrix multiplication (PEP 465): helping the scientific Python
stack make a construct that's currently awkward more simple.