On 2021-03-27 01:54, Theallredman via Python-Dev wrote:
Forgive me if this isn't the correct venue for this question and I ask your help directing me to the correct place if it is not.

In PEP-376 it states with respect to the valid hashes in a Wheel RECORD file:

"The hash is either the empty string or the hash algorithm as named in hashlib.algorithms_guaranteed, followed by the equals character =, followed by the urlsafe-base64-nopad encoding of the digest (base64.urlsafe_b64encode(digest) with trailing = removed)."

In PEP-427 it further restricts the valid hashes to omit md5 and sha1 and says:

"The hash algorithm must be sha256 or better; specifically, md5 and sha1 are not permitted."

No where does it define what on what dimension of a hash "better" should consider.  From the context talking about the security of the algorithm I'd infer that "better" is with respect to collision resistance.  If so does that mean sha224 should also be excluded from wheel RECORD file hashes?

The "256" part refers to it generating a 256-bit signature, so a "better" one is one that generates a signature that's longer, e.g. "sha384" and "sha512".