On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 11:54 AM Caleb Donovick <donov...@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> > Here, `Child` will *not* match as a sequence, even though it probably
> > should,
>
> Strong disagree,  if I explicitly set `__match_seq__` to `False` in `Parent`
> I probably have a good reason for it and would absolutely expect `Child` to
> not match as a sequence.

How much difference is there between:

class Grandparent:
    """Not a sequence"""
class Parent(Grandparent):
    """Also not a sequence"""
class Child(Parent):
    """No sequences here"""

and this:

class Grandparent(list):
    """Is a sequence"""
class Parent(Grandparent):
    """Explicitly not a sequence"""
    __match_seq__ = False
class Child(Parent):
    """Shouldn't be a sequence"""

? Either way, Parent should function as a non-sequence. But if Child
inherits from both Parent and tuple, it is most definitely a tuple,
and therefore should be a sequence.

With your proposed semantics, setting __match_seq__ to False is not
simply saying "this isn't a sequence", but it's saying "prevent this
from being a sequence". It's a stronger statement than simply undoing
the declaration that it's a sequence. There would be no way to reset
to the default state.

Brandt's proposed semantics sound complicated, but as far as I can
tell, they give sane results in all cases.

ChrisA