Talin wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>    talin> ... whereas with 'given' you can't be certain when to stop
>>    talin> parsing the argument list.
>>
>> So require parens around the arglist:
>>
>>    (x*y given (x, y))
>>
>> Skip
>>

> I would not be opposed to mandating the parens, and its an easy enough
> change to make. The patch on SF lets you do it both ways, which will
> give people who are interested a chance to get a feel for the various
> alternatives.

Another ambiguity is that when they're optional it is unclear whether or not
adding them means the callable now expects a tuple argument (i.e., doubled
parens at the call site). If they're mandatory, then it is clear that only
doubled parentheses at the definition point require doubled parentheses at the
call site (this is, not coincidentally, exactly the same rule as applies for
normal functions).

> I realize of course that this is a moot point. But perhaps I can help to
> winnow down the dozens of rejected lambda replacement proposals to just
> a few rejected lamda proposals :)

Heh.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia