Paul Bryan:
> Seems like this is something that should make its way into stdlib?

In the last 10 years, the trend is more to remove anything related to
packaging *outside* the stdlib :-) Since it's evolving way faster than
Python releases and the stdlib cannot be updated once installed, I
don't think that it's a good idea.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 12:22 AM Antoine Pitrou <anto...@python.org> wrote:
> Tangentially, until now projects could use distutils's LooseVersion if
> they wanted to compare version numbers reliably.  With distutils being
> deprecated, they'll have to either depending on packaging (which is a
> large dependency just for comparison version numbers) or vendor
> packaging's Version class (which is doable but still some bothersome
> additional work).

If packaging is too big and if packaging maintainters like the idea,
maybe packaging.version could be moved into a dedicated package? I
didn't look if it makes sense from a technical point of view.

$ wc -l packaging/version.py  packaging/_structures.py
  556 packaging/version.py
   86 packaging/_structures.py
  642 total

version.py uses _structures.py (InfinityType, NegativeInfinityType).

Victor