On Apr 14, 2021, at 23:11, Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You wrote the original PEP, so of course you can withdraw it (or reject it),
> but...
>
> Are you sure? See this discussion, I don't think it's as simple as all that.

From a library maintainers point of view, I personally want to get away from
using __version__ strings at all.  They’re kind of a pain to remember to bump
on every new release.

PEP 396 has been dormant for a long time and I have no interest in pushing it
forward any more.  If someone else wants to take up the cause, I recommend
creating a new PEP and referring back to 396.

-Barry