I proposed PEP 511 "API for code transformers" for Python 3.6 (in
2016) and it was rejected:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0511/#rejection-notice

"""
This PEP was rejected by its author.

This PEP was seen as blessing new Python-like programming languages
which are close but incompatible with the regular Python language. It
was decided to not promote syntaxes incompatible with Python.

This PEP was also seen as a nice tool to experiment new Python
features, but it is already possible to experiment them without the
PEP, only with importlib hooks. If a feature becomes useful, it should
be directly part of Python, instead of depending on an third party
Python module.

Finally, this PEP was driven was the FAT Python optimization project
which was abandoned in 2016, since it was not possible to show any
significant speedup, but also because of the lack of time to implement
the most advanced and complex optimizations.
"""

IMO the most important part of the PEP 511 was to change the pyc
filename depending on the code transformer used to modify the code.

Victor