Hi everyone,

This is the last friendly reminder from the release management team that
Python 3.10 feature freeze is a week away (Monday, 3 May 2021).

Some important things to have in mind:

* We have some release blockers that must be resolved before the release is
done:

https://bugs.python.org/issue43908
https://bugs.python.org/issue43933
https://bugs.python.org/issue43916

If you want to help making sure that the release is on time, help us
resolving those blockers. You can also search the issues in
https://bugs.python.org/issue?@template=search&status=1 with the
"release-blocker" priority.

* Please, don't wait until the last moment (Sunday) to merge PRs into
master. This is because if many changes accumulate into a time window and
problems are detected, is much more difficult to locate the problematic
changes among the rest. If there are any problems with your commits, you
also would have the risk of having your changes reverted to unblock the
release without any time window to merge them again before feature freeze.

Please, also be aware of the following:

* No new features or improvements should be merged after the feature
freeze. From the devguide (https://devguide.python.org/devcycle/#beta) :

> After a first beta release is published, no new features are accepted.
Only bug fixes and improvements to documentation and tests can now be
committed.
> This is when core developers should concentrate on the task of fixing
regressions and other new issues filed by users who have downloaded the
alpha and beta releases.
> Being in beta can be viewed much like being in RC but without the extra
overhead of needing commit reviews.

* If your change involves some platform-specific behaviour or has a
non-trivial amount of C code, make sure you run the buildbots
in your Pull Request by using the "test-with-buildbots" label (
https://discuss.python.org/t/now-you-can-test-a-pr-with-the-buildbots-before-merging/2966
).
Alternatively you could check the buildbots post-merge in the buildbot
server:
https://buildbot.python.org/all/#/builders?tags=%2B3.x&tags=%2Bstable
This is very important because if problems are detected at the time of the
release, the release management team may have to revert
the changes and therefore those will not be included in Python 3.10.

* The master branch will be renamed to main (check our previous
communication about how this will be done and how you should
proceed
https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/thread/QWW7KGBW5UH2N5FOZOFXQBQPYELWQM3O/
)

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me as soon as
possible.

Regards from sunny London,
Pablo Galindo Salgado