Can we call this discussion closed? There’s not much more to be said. I’m
not picking on you, Chris, I just think that not much will be gained by
continuing the thread.

I appreciate Esmeralda’s messages and all the responses. Now let’s go fix
some bugs! :-)

(Obligatory XKCD comic:
https://xkcd.com/386/ )

—Guido

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 17:55 Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 10:06 AM Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 7/1/2021 7:39 PM, esmeraldagar...@byom.de wrote:
> > > "Merging something is also a responsibility to whoever does it" - And
> it's also a responsibility to fix bugs, no? I don't get why you're so
> afraid of (maybe!) introducing a new bug when there already (certainly!) is
> a bug.
> >
> > Because the new bug you introduce might be much, much worse than the bug
> > you're fixing.
> >

> It's worth noting that, in the (rare) cases where there clearly is no
> downside to fixing a bug... it just gets fixed. You won't see those
> kinds of issues in Stack Overflow answers, because they're not there
> any more. Calling the review process flawed on the basis of the issues
> still open after X years is as incomplete a picture as saying that all
> music from the 18th century is awesome on the basis of the music
> that's still being played today. *By definition*, you're only seeing
> the hairy issues, the ones where it's far from clear what the correct
> action is (merge, modify, or do nothing).
>
> If you want a rough idea of the things that get fixed quietly, browse
> the What's New for a point release, for example:
>
> https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-394/
>
> ChrisA
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/TC6MFY6HEQEV4XPLSRMYDMFAOU32WJ6V/