On 01. 09. 21 22:28, Guido van Rossum wrote:
I apologize, I keep making the same mistake.

The PyCode_New[WithPosArgs] functions are *not* in the stable ABI or in the limited API, so there's no need to petition the SC, nor do I need Petr's approval.

We may be bound by backwards compatibility for the *cpython* API, but I think that if Cython is okay if we just break this we should be fine. Users of the CPython API are expected to recompile for each new version, and if someone were to be using these functions with the old set of parameters the compiler would give them an error.

The cpython CPI is still covered by the backwards compatibility policy (PEP 387). You do need to ask the SC to skip the two-year deprecation period.

I don't see an issue with the exception being granted, but I do think it should be rubber-stamped as a project-wide decision.

So let's just choose (E) and d*mn backwards compatibility for these two functions.

That means:
- Get rid of PyCode_NewWithPosArgs altogether
- PyCode_New becomes unstable (and gets a new posinlyargcount argument)

... but still remains available and documented, just with a note that it may change in minor versions. Right?

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 11:52 AM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org <mailto:gu...@python.org>> wrote:

    (context)

        Guido van Rossum schrieb am 13.08.21 um 19:24:
         > In 3.11 we're changing a lot of details about code objects.
        Part of this is
         > the "Faster CPython" work, part of it is other things (e.g.
        PEP 657 -- Fine
         > Grained Error Locations in Tracebacks).
         >
         > As a result, the set of fields of the code object is
        changing. This is
         > fine, the structure is part of the internal API anyway.
         >
         > But there's a problem with two public API functions,
        PyCode_New() and
         > PyCode_NewWithPosArgs(). As we have them in the main (3.11)
        branch, their
         > signatures are incompatible with previous versions, and they
        have to be
         > since the set of values needed to create a code object is
        different. (The
         > types.CodeType constructor signature is also changed, and so
        is its
         > replace() method, but these aren't part of any stable API).
         >
         > Unfortunately, PyCode_New() and PyCode_NewWithPosArgs() are
        part of the PEP
         > 387 stable ABI. What should we do?
         >
         > A. We could deprecate them, keep (restore) their old
        signatures, and create
         > crippled code objects (no exception table, no endline/column
        tables,
         > qualname defaults to name).
         >
         > B. We could deprecate them, restore the old signatures, and
        always raise an
         > error when they are called.
         >
         > C. We could just delete them.
         >
         > D. We could keep them, with modified signatures, and to heck
        with ABI
         > compatibility for these two.
         >
         > E. We could get rid of PyCode_NewWithPosArgs(), update
        PyCode() to add the
         > posonlyargcount (which is the only difference between the
        two), and d*mn
         > the torpedoes.
         >
         > F. Like (E), but keep PyCode_NewWithPosArgs() as an alias for
        PyCode_New()

    On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 7:07 PM Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de