> Bear in mind that these last ones are exactly equivalent to the "or"
> operator, as they'll use the default if you have any falsy value.
> variable = some_function(...) or []

Isn't that in itself a good argument in favor of (??) ? By missing to add 'is
None', I would have already added a subtle bug that could be quite difficult to
find. (??) could prevent that while also being more readable.

> I'm actually more interested in a better idiom for non-constant
> function default arguments, since that's the place where this kind of
> thing often comes up. A nice ??= operator might help if your default
> is None, but if you then change the default to be object(), you can't
> use ??= any more. [...]

True, but from my experience 'None' is just by far the most common default. Why
not improve how we handle it?