Thanks Antoine. We definitely need to push back on such "expectations" and turn them into facts by performing careful measurements. Surprises lurk everywhere. See e.g. https://github.com/faster-cpython/ideas/issues/109#issuecomment-975619113 <https://github.com/faster-cpython/ideas/issues/109#issuecomment-975619113> (and watch the Emery Berger video linked there if you haven't already).

Surprises indeed. When I discussed this with my daughter after watching it, she told me that the Sims 2 with multiple mods and multiple player characters, the game loaded very slowly, taking several minute on machines of the time. Some players discovered that it loaded minutes faster if player character names and corresponding filenames were limited to a subset of printable ascii chars (no space, %, and some others). Someone even wrote a renamer program.

Has Python on linux been run with with the cos program yet?

--
Terry Jan Reedy