On Sun, Dec 19, 2021, 11:49 AM Steven D'Aprano

> And both the download and the webpage listing the checksum are over https.
> If we don't trust https, the whole internet is broken and changing to a
> stronger checksum won't help. A hypothetical MITM attacker capable of
> breaking https and injecting new content into the download file can
> likewise change the checksum.

I think the attack is Mallory can influence Alice to use an installer
obtained from somewhere else (e.g. a caching proxy, a shared drive, a thumb
drive, embedded in an OS distribution, etc).

As "assurance" Mallory tells Alice to validate the installer against the
hash published on python.org, which Mallory has not compromised.