> Does someone know if linters like pylint or pylakes current warn on
> "assert(test, msg)" statements?

I believe so, both the python itself (through SyntaxWarnings) and
other linters warn about this.

> Is it possible to run a code search on PyPI top 5000 projects to see
> if such always-true assertion is common or not?

I don't think this is a common thing, so changing the behavior should
not break anything. In my PyPI dataset (4 or 5 thousand packages),
I've only found 4 examples which 2 of them intentional (for test
purposes on linters/parsers etc). The other 2 seem like problematic
use cases, which should be fixed:

pylint

/home/isidentical/projects/data/pypi/clean/pylint/tests/functional/a/assert_on_tuple.py:4:0
keras-mxnet

/home/isidentical/projects/data/pypi/clean/keras-mxnet/examples/deep_dream.py:88:4
parso

/home/isidentical/projects/data/pypi/clean/parso/test/normalizer_issue_files/E12_not_first.py:54:4

/home/isidentical/projects/data/pypi/clean/parso/test/normalizer_issue_files/E101.py:38:1
django-modeltranslation

/home/isidentical/projects/data/pypi/clean/django-modeltranslation/modeltranslation/tests/urls.py:6:4