> Does HPy have any clear guidance or assistance for their users to keep
> it up to date?

not right now, because we are still somewhat in alpha mode and sometimes we
redesign the API and/or break compatibility. But the plan is of course to
stabilize at some point.

> I think it can be done with clear communication from the HPy project
> (and us when we endorse it) that they will *never* break compatibility
> and it's *always* safe (and indeed, essential) for their users to use
> the latest version. But that's a big commitment that I can't sign them
> up for.

I think this will be doable once HPy is mature enough, and I also agree that
any kind of official endorsement from CPython and/or PSF will help a lot the
adoption of HPy itself.

ciao,
Antonio