> On 2 Feb 2022, at 23:41, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurren...@gmail.com> wrote:

[…]

> Cons:
>
> * a little less convenient: adding a global string requires modifying
> a separate file from the one where you actually want to use the string
> * strings can get "orphaned" (I'm planning on checking in CI)
> * some strings may never get used for any given ./python invocation
> (not that big a difference though)

The first two cons can probably be fixed by adding some indirection, with some
markers at the place of use and a script that uses those to generate the
C definitions.

Although my gut feeling is that adding a the CI check you mention is good
enough and adding the tooling for generating code isn’t worth the additional
complexity.

Ronald
—

Twitter / micro.blog: @ronaldoussoren